5 Stars By HollyC on 2016-06-29
Out of my 4 different hammocks - TNH is my new favorite!!
I now own four hammocks. After sleeping in one on a camping trip last year, I became hooked. Now my family and I sleep outdoors regularly in our hammocks. I own several different brands now, so I feel I can offer a fair comparison of similar hammocks. I've also slept in the TNH hammock several times before writing this honest review.
1) Stick with the double hammock, even if you just plan on sleeping alone. They are much more comfortable. Really, who wants to sleep with two people in a hammock anyway? You get squished. My husband and I did test it out together for a nap and it works, but I wouldn't do it all night. The double hammock is 10' long and 6.6" wide. It holds up to 400# and gives you lots of space to get very comfortable! This hammock is a great size. In comparison to my other double hammocks, size-wise they are all pretty similar and none of them got extra points for that.
2) Straps! Tree straps are so important! When I bought my first ENO hammock, I forked out the extra $30 for the straps. I have no complaint about the ENO straps except for they were an extra $30. TNH has high quality straps that are INCLUDED with the hammock. With these straps, you can literally set up your hammock in under 5 mins, more like 1 if your good. These are 9' long straps and the important parts are that they are wide and won't damage the tree. (I'm a tree hugger.) The other important part is, they have adjustable loops to hook your hammock to. I didn't think that'd be a big deal until I tried straps that only had one ring at the end. What a pain! With adjustable loops, you can use any side trees. One tree you hook to can be fat, one can be skinny and it doesn't matter because you just put your hammock in the middle and snap it onto the appropriate strap. The straps are rated for 400#. They also grip the tree nicely. They did not stretch during the night (some straps will) and they stayed put.
3) I liked the way TNH attached their hammock to the carabiner to the hammock. Two of the other hammocks I have, ran the cord through the end of the hammock and then tied it in a knot and attached the carabiner. That seems like it might be a more secure way. However, I've notice that the hammock material will slide around and get stuck on one side, leaving the hammock hanging with one side higher than the other. TNH hammock didn't have this problem. Because it was left open and free flowing when attached the carabiner, you could slide the hammock to the middle. The hammock hung evenly on both sides. I liked that!
Some general information about the hammock:
- The parachute type material that was used is high quality and stitched well. I found this to be quite similar between the brands I own.
- The hammock folds up into its own pouch, that doubles as a place to put keys/flashlight or other loose items in the night. (The other brands did this as well.)
- The hammock weighed in at 1lb 8.5oz. The hammock and straps together weighed 2lb 5oz.
- The hammock has a compression strap on top and does compress down quite a bit for your backpack. Also, the strap stays put. On another hammock of mine, after you tighten it, it slides right back loose again. So what's the point? TNH's compression strap actually works!
- Hammock angle. This is not really related to this specific hammock, but I have found it to be really important to hammock sleeping! I worried sleeping with this big bend in my back would kill me! I have a bad back and wake up stiff every morning. Guess what? The hammock worked like a chiropractor. If you get the angle right - you sleep like a baby! I'm not kidding. I wake up without the pain in my back. My husband says the same thing. This is why we've taken to sleeping in hammocks so often now. I'm even considering one for inside.
A 30 degree angle from the tree, down the hammock strap to the hammock and back to the tree is considered the ideal angle. If you have the hammock too tight, you'll feel like you are being wrapped up in a cocoon. This isn't correct. If you hang it loose, with the right angle, and allow for the curve, the hammock sides will be loose. Then you can lay at a bit of an angle and stretch out to see the stars. You can sleep on your side comfortably too! When I hang my hammock right, I don't even move in the night, whereas in my bed I wake up and flop around all night.
CONCLUSION: I give the TNH hammock an A+, 5 stars, 2 thumbs up. It is totally competitive and even better than many of the more expensive brands out there. I'm grabbing it over the other hammocks I own. I love the price and the quality.
WARNING: Hammock sleeping can be addictive!
5 Stars By Gary from SB Ca. on 2016-06-28
Loved this hammock
Loved this hammock. Just returned from Yosemite where wifey and spent a week with the family. 4 other people produced hammocks, so... I did the "Pepsi" challenge. From ENO to ghetto looking other hammocks I felt mine was the best quality especially since the owner of the ENO hammock spent over $100.00. At REI for a double nest hammock. The straps were half the width of my TNH. PLUS the TNH held my wife and I (without strain noises) and well, we are big people! Great purchase, great quality, easy to hang hammock.
5 Stars By AlumiGogo Customer on 2016-04-15
Brand quality hammock / straps + video , paper and pdf instructions
I now have the single hammock and it is performing as well as the double. The material is so comfortable and durable. You can see from my last trip, we had a ball with it. Good to see the little companies under cutting the big brands on price but not quality ;)
As you can see I've tried a couple of hammocks out over my time.. Now there are differences in quality between hammocks- I have roadtested several camping parachute hammocks in the woods and I'm really happy how this one has performed . My opinion is that it is just a little bit higher quality and a little bit bigger than the eno Hammock. The price difference between this and the Eno and the customer service has been the real difference, they have followed up thoroughly and provide a life time warranty. Enjoy your camping
5 Stars By OK Reviewer on 2016-08-15
High quality and affordable!
-Large and roomy
-Just as good as expensive brands for much less
-Excellent customer care company
-The trees need to be fairly far apart and of wide girth to work well with the straps. This isn't a big deal though and can be augmented to work with thinner trees.
I've been using this hammock for months now and it's been great every time. I usually go hiking with it and when I need a quick respite I just strap it up in about 2 min. My girlfriend and I fit perfectly in it with room to spare and enough fabric to cover us. All in all I love it.
Disclaimer: This is my firat TNH product purchase. I paid full price for this item and this is a review done on my own accord.
5 Stars By epShue on 2016-07-19
Better quality and more worth it than "Bear Butt"
Perfect. Really great quality material and construction. Comes with the nylon chain straps, which alone make it cheaper and more worthwhile than "Bear Butt," which sells its straps separately for $25. Packs down into a tidy little bag with compression straps. Love!!
5 Stars By S.A Dad on 2016-06-17
Great for camping and hiking
Love this hammock. Double hammock AND tree straps. You can't find a better deal.
Love the product and how easy it is to setup. Buddies of mine have already bought their own hammocks from TNH after they couldn't contain their jealousy any longer.
I take it camping and hiking. It's light and small enough that I don't mind throwing it in my pack when I go hiking. Makes for some great momements at the top.
I had an issue with one of my ropes but their customer service is next level and they've been super helpful and accommodating.
I would recommend this to anyone looking to pick up a good hammock at a great price
5 Stars By Kevin l. on 2018-02-22
TNH beats ENO
This isn’t my first hammock, but it is my favorite and a del that you shouldn’t pass up. I’ve owned an ENO and these TNH hammocks measure up in every way and, in my opinion, actually come out ahead when comparing them. First of all, an ENO set up with Atlas straps is going to run you damn near $100, maybe a little more or less depending on where you source it from, the TNH is a fifth of the cost for 100% of the quality. I own two if the green and black models and have put my oldest one through a lot. I’ve used it to hold firewood, as a ground cloth (works in a pinch), and as shade from the FL sun, also managed to sleep in it from time to time. This thing has never let me down, and is a steal at $20 with the straps and carabiners included. If you’re on the fence, get off already and order one.
5 Stars By Donald Peck on 2016-10-03
Comfortable in the mountains while four wheeling!
A Great double hammock with 400lb. capacity, well designed (triple stitched on each end, built in carrying pouch, very strong and light weight) and is very comfortable. Don't recommend using with two people unless you're fairly small as you tend to roll together. My wife & I took it with us on our four wheelers in the mountains and after an hour of riding, stopped where we found two 8"-10" lodge pole pine trees about 14-15 feet apart. We took the straps out with the sewn in adjustment loops, attached them around the trees per the enclosed directions and then unrolled the hammock out. The hammock attaches to the straps with two carabeaners. (Keep the hammock on your head end level or slightly above the foot end). They are located on each end of the hammock & hook into the adjustment loops so that the hammock is 18-24" off the ground. You then back into the hammock holding onto the edges and swing your feet in and enjoy! Set up time for this first set up was about 5 minutes. It worked so well that we ordered a 2nd double hammock from THN through AlumiGogo when we got home. THN has some great information & video on line which helps to set up & roll up the hammock.
5 Stars By Jeff Gail on 2016-06-09
Best 400lb Hammock You Can Buy!
When I first received this hammock and opened it up for inspection, I was a bit hesitant that the material wouldn't "flex" enough for my liking. I recently bought my wife a different hammock from Youphoria Outdoors and was really impressed at the quality fabric and stretch, so I was directly comparing it to that one.
Well, upon strapping this badboy up outside, I must admit that this is every bit as good, if not a little better, than the $50 hammock I was just referring to! The major difference appears to be that this one is a bit thicker and feels more solid (perfect for tromping through the woods in Alaska).
When you add in the fact that this comes with heavy duty carabiners, really long tree straps, and a Lifetime Warranty, all for only $35, it really doesn't make any sense to buy any other 400lb packable hammock on the market! Granted, if you hate the color green than this may not be for you. But, if your anything like me and my family of five and love to save a few bucks to get a quality product that will last a lifetime and don't care how you look swinging in that name brand hammock, you won't hesitate to pick up this bag of awesome and start enjoying the great outdoors!
5 Stars By John E. Min on 2016-09-26
Great hammock at a very good price!
I had an ENO double nest that I always had in my car should the opportunity for a nap at the park present itself and it aways went on camping trips but I stupidly left my car unlocked one night and somebody hit the jackpot. I was depressed thinking about the cost of replacement because this is an essential piece of equipment to me and I saw this on AlumiGogo at a great price that included slap straps! This TNH hammock had very good reviews and at that price I was willing to gamble and it paid off! Love this hammock. It is just as comfortable and well made as my previous ENO! Test drove it last weekend with a nice afternoon nap and was kicked out later by my daughter (9 years old) and her friend who gave it a bit of torture testing, playing in it and swinging in it. I will be buying TNH next time, and at this great price point, plan to get a few for Christmas presents as well as a single hammock for my daughters back pack. Thank you guys for providing a great product at a great price! Love it when that happens.