5 Stars By Vicky on 1969-12-31
Great Little Toaster Oven
Okay......This Hamilton Beach Model 31334 was $29.99 and was shipped for FREE! Let me repeat that - - $29.00 and shipped for FREE! After reading the reviews, I thought, "WTF" and ordered it. The merchant was great - the oven arrived literally in a day and a half. No damage.
I'm not a newbie when it comes to toaster ovens. Both my parents worked and retired from Black and Decker and of course, we had B&D's "new fangled" toaster oven back in the 60's. With their employee discount, my Mom always had the current model - passing the rest down to their RV, the "rec room" as well as my brother, me and assorted friends and relatives. So I am more than familiar with toaster ovens - and that's all I wanted - a toaster oven and I wanted it to fit in my appliance garage which is 14" deep. The Hamilton Beach Easy-Reach Toaster Oven filled all my wants and needs.
The measurements have been stated in other reviews, however I measured the actual baking rack and it is 9 1/8" wide and 10 7/8" deep. Hopefully the included photos will provide additional information.
1. The oven fits perfectly in the appliance garage. (14" deep by 34" wide with door closed)
2. Of course, the baking rack does not pull out automatically when the door is opened, however you can see that I have pulled the rack out and it is still secure within the oven.
3. As for the interior BAKING space, I have stacked two k-cups on the baking pan and there is still plenty of space. (I didn't measure because I am a visual person and this works better in my opinion)
4. Included is also a photo of the oven while on. You can see the heating elements and what I like is that they are protected by a metal "shroud" not just on the area where food might spatter on them, but also on the other side which means they are fully protected if something does spill - it will not spill on the heating element so clean up will be easy.
5. Several reviews have mentioned that the temperatures and times are hard to read on the knobs. I have tried to get a clear photo, however, the overhead kitchen light creates a glare over the top knob. What you will actually see is that the top knob indicators will be as clear as the bottom knob. As for complaints that temps are hard to set.......Geez, if you want to make toast - turn the top knob all the way to the right and set the indicator ON THE PICTURE OF A PIECE OF TOAST then turn the lower knob to the right to THE PICTURES OF A LIGHT TOAST OR DARK TOAST.
6. Several reviews have mentioned that the door has a gap on the side. What I did was "tweak" the lower edge of the door and now there is no gap. Just use a little "American Ingenuity" to make a very minor adjustment.
7. So far the oven has toasted PERFECT toast and bagels, and roasted a pan of yummy potatoes that were perfectly browned. The oven heats up like my other toaster ovens did, I didn't get much older waiting for my toast!
8. Timer Ticking: For Pete's Sake - it TICKS while operating and it also DINGS when it's finished. I guess at 63 years old, my hearing is not as sensitive as some, but then again I don't have my head on the counter top in front of the toaster, either!
9. The best thing is the way the toaster door opens. When opened, it is totally out of the way which allows for the actual top of the toaster to be recessed somewhat so that the top of your hand doesn't get burned if you reach in. To me, this is a major improvement in the actual design of toaster ovens and a great design if the toaster oven needs to set on a shelf.
10. By the way, the "Chef's Planet 401 Nonstick Toaster Oven Liner" sold by AlumiGogo fits perfectly on the pull out crumb tray with no cutting or sizing and the crumb tray pulls out easily for cleaning.
Long story short: My husband says I over researched and over thought this purchase and about drove him crazy. I feel that I made the best purchase that fit my wants and needs, and does exactly what a toaster oven should do and what the manufacturer featured in it's ad/product description says it will do.
4 Stars By Kathleen San Martino on 2013-09-24
Toasts exceptionally well
This toaster oven is great for small jobs. The picture of the pizza cooking in this toaster oven is very deceiving because only a small personal-sized pizza no larger than 9" x 10" will fit. The depth (front to back) is 11-1/2" if you include the handle and knobs on back; width is 15-1/2"; and height is 9". The cord length is 33".
This toaster will easily fit four slices of bread. I toasted two slices of rye bread and the toast came out fantastic; crisp and dry the way rye bread usually toasts. It was toasted evenly on both sides except that the bottom sides of the bread had the rack lines, which is expected. It actually toasted better than any actual toaster I've ever owned and I always disliked using a toaster oven to toast bread.
Below are the PROS and CONS from my perspective.
It has a small footprint.
The top comes off easily for washing.
The unit's roll top makes it easy to reach what is cooking.
The price is reasonable in my opinion.
It toasts very well.
It comes with a crumb tray, rack, and baking pan that can be easily removed and cleaned.
A broiling option is available by using the high rack position in the oven and selecting the broil feature.
The dials use mechanical timing so for the duration of the toasting cycle, there's a ticking sound from the timer.
The timer always has to be rotated beyond 10 minutes and then turned back to the time desired if the cooking, broiling, or toasting time is less than 10 minutes.
The timer has a maximum capacity of 30 minutes so if what's being cooked requires a longer time, it will have to be set two or three times during the cooking process.
The silver "paint" on the dial faceplate is slightly bubbled on the unit I received for review.
In summary, I think this is a great buy for those who need a toaster oven for small jobs or do not have much kitchen space. It's also cute, squat, and retro looking.
3 Stars By delicateflower152 on 2013-09-26
Compact, Multi-purpose Small Appliance ...
The "Hamilton Beach 31334 Easy Reach Toaster Oven, Metallic" is a compact, multi-purpose small appliance that may prove useful in your kitchen. Having a footprint that is no larger than the Kitchenaid KMT400 toaster, it should fit into most appliance garages as well as into standard kitchen cabinets having higher shelves.
With the rolling door closed, the "Hamilton Beach 31334 Easy Reach Toaster Oven" measures approximately 16 ½" wide X 8 ¾" high X 11 ¾" deep. With the rolling door opened, this small appliance measures approximately 16 ½" wide X 10 ½" high X 10" deep.
The door that rolls up, rather than swinging down or out, makes this small appliance well suited for more narrow countertops. Easy removal for cleaning is another plus.
The "Hamilton Beach 31334 Easy Reach Toaster Oven" does a very nice job toasting whole grain, artisan breads. The interior - approximately 10 ½" X 9" - easily accommodates odd sizes and thicknesses of breads and rolls. The description states this toaster oven will accommodate four slices. It seems those slices would have to be smaller than average or would have to touch each other in order for four to fit. The darkness indicator dial is small and somewhat difficult to read; it would improve this product if it were clearer and more precise.
Baking in the "Hamilton Beach 31334 Easy Reach Toaster Oven" is a somewhat hit-or-miss proposition. The lack of precision on the timer and temperature controls has an impact on both baking time and product appearance. You will have to experiment to determine the appropriate time and temperature settings in order to produce acceptable results.
If you have only a small item to brown, the broiling function may be useful. However, you will want to watch your food carefully to prevent burning - another downside of the less than precise control knobs.
All three functions on the "Hamilton Beach 31334 Easy Reach Toaster Oven" cause this small appliance's exterior to become extremely hot. Air temperature around the unit went from 77.5 degrees to 88 degrees when I toasted bread. The surface temperature went from 77.5 degrees to 285 degrees! I used a Thermapen Instant Read Thermometer to measure the temperatures. The sides as well as the top might easily burn one's skin. Should anyone, particularly children and the elderly, who both have delicate skin, accidentally touch the exterior after the unit has been on they could easily sustain a severe burn.
The "Hamilton Beach 31334 Easy Reach Toaster Oven" might be suitable for some seeking a compact toaster oven. However, individuals, who desire an appliance having more accurate controls and better insulation, would do well to look at other models of toaster oven.
4 Stars By APorges on 2016-04-19
A thermonuclear toaster made to burn your toast
When I first heard about there being a different type of toaster oven using quartz elements instead of the typical steel rods, I didn't think too much. This was before I had heard of induction cooktops either. And yet, both the quartz and the induction elements are far superior to their older counterparts. In another similar example, upgrading to quartz elements is like going from the light bulb ' that Thomas Edison invented to the LEDs we use today. The upgrade is more efficient, better in many ways and updated to the new Era.
Diatribe aside, the toaster is a beast and a force to be reckoned. You should never set and forget a single thing in this toaster unless there is a long cook time involved or you have used it enough. Otherwise everything you put in, bread especially, will come out rocky hard and completely burned. Let's just say that I am used to bread going in cold and being heated up to just crispy (not really brown on top) in ~5 minutes with a typical toaster. With this model, expect that same bread to be overdone in less than 3 minutes, black in 5. That's how fast it is. My coworker routinely cooks raw sausages in <30 minutes and I am sure the pizza they advertise being able to cook in the toaster will be ready from freezer to table in 15-20.
Now for the functionality of this beast. Basically speaking, the design is interesting but leaving much to be desired. The curved flip lid prevents anything from being placed on top, such as plates to be warmed up. Because this toaster gets so (freakin') hot ', it has to be placed with ample space on either side so as not to damage wood or other items close by. Speaking of which, it is also rather difficult to reach in side during operation of the toaster due to the extreme heat which makes flipping toast and sandwiches like reaching into an open fire. The buttons are old school, which is something to expect from a low cost appliance like this one. However, the temperature setting should not be believed, 250 might as well be the same as 500, for the first few minutes, those elements are hot and they don't stop at the temperature you wanted.
So, here we have a toaster containing quartz elements, which used to be something you could only find on the Breville line, the epitome of toasters. But, rather than shell out $200+ for the best, this may be a nice stepping stone to get your feet wet. Because, wouldn't you rather test out new technology on something low cost that you don't care so much about than spend a lot of money to burn your food? Just saying...
Recommendation:Buy, the price is right and it does the trick. Just keep your fire extinguisher handy and please, don't leave the room when in operation.
4 Stars By LILass on 2017-02-01
Thoughtfully designed & works great
I like it so much I bought a 2nd one.
- Roll top gets glass out of the way and keeps it clean because you're not dragging food over it. And because the door is out of the way and there is a decent space below the oven rack, you can tuck a plate under the edge of the rack/grill and slide toast, pizza etc. right onto the plate without even having to pull out the rack, and no crumbs hit the counter/floor.
- Glass top pops right off so it can be washed at the sink!
- Crumb pan design- It's a loose sheet that simply sits in the inside bottom of the oven, so you just pull it out from the inside front. You never have to move the oven to access it, you don't drop crumbs while removing it, and you can bring it to the sink and fully clean it!
- Broiler pan design- Just move the rack up to the higher setting and slide the solid pan into the slots underneath it, and voilà, the rack grill becomes the broiler pan top! The rack and pan slide right out to wash at the sink and you have one less pan piece to store most or all of the time. I just think that is so clever.
- Toasts fairly evenly on both sides and is faster than some toaster ovens I've used. Just remember to keep the upper knob all the way to the right (450 degrees/toast/broil), or it will be less even
- Oven temp is maintained well. E.g. it cooks french fries as fast as my full size oven at the same temp setting.
- You can set the oven to automatically turn off after a certain amount of time by turning the lower knob to the right timer, or run it un-timed by turning the lower dial to the left of off.
- Very nice looking
- Knob markings don't have enough contrast. I have mine in a darkish corner and need to bend down right in front of it, and sometimes turn on more lights to read the oven temps and knob pointer. I did highlight the knob pointed with silver marker which helps at least with the knob.
- There is no way to keep the toast darkness set to a preferred setting because you must turn the bottom knob to not only enable toasting, but also to set the darkness. I prefer to have a darkness setting that can be maintained even when off, and to just press a toast on/off button.
- The toaster darkness settings are in a tiny corner of the knob's circumference, so the difference between dark and light is a very slight turn. I find that I always must watch the toast because I never know what its really set at.
- The elements remain on when you open the door. I owned B&D spacesaver toaster ovens for years and when you opened the door they always paused the elements. I think it is a very important safely feature because I've been known to open the door, grab my food and go to the table, forgetting to close the door or turn off the toaster oven, and with a roll top it's so easy to leave the door open because it's not sticking out in anyone's way.
Although I list some cons, I doubt there is a toaster that I'd consider perfect in existence!
I think this model has many clever features that make it easy to keep clean, and it works great. I've enjoyed both of mine for a year so far!
1 Stars By Wordsmyth on 2017-10-08
Beautiful but dangerous.
Beautiful but untrustworthy. Great design and look. However, they really mean it when they say to unplug when no using. It keeps going even though the timer has stopped AND THE door is open. So the second time I used it, I burnt something that stained the glass. It was great to take off the door to wash it, but now I notice there is a gaping area about 1/2 inch near the dials. (see photo).
It is difficult to turn the knob so when just using it is a toaster there is very little difficult to get a medium toasted piece of bread; it's either undercooked or burnt. It looks good, but not if you need it for the job it was built to do.
5 Stars By Colector on 2017-04-17
Good looking and Really nice for the price! Space saver too!
I have a small kitchen, so I always had a Black and Decker under cabinet Toaster oven, which I was always Happy with. After about 15 years of use, though it was still working, it looked discolored and really stood out like a sore thumb in my newly refurbished kitchen. I needed another space saver, but it seems they don't make one any more that was up to the standard of the older model. This Hamilton Beach is on the counter, but with the roll up door, it saves the counter space. It is really nice looking too. Its use with the dials needed to be learned, but that is to be expected with anything new. For the price, it is a really nice toaster oven and I hope it can last as long as the "Old" Black and Decker".
3 Stars By Larry Caudell on 2016-10-29
Great mini oven, bad toaster
Ok as far as heating and cooking this toaster is awesome. But the timer dial kind of sucks. The labeling on the dial is hard to read and even harder to figure out what is what. Plus it rubs off in a matter of a month of so with daily use. The other thing that sucks is there is NO TOAST FUNCTION. It will do toast but you have to turn the timer past ten then back to somewhere between three pictures which I guess are darkness of the toast. There is no accuracy to this. I would be amazed if anyone could cook toast to the same level twice in a row. This forces you to stand there and watch the toast and turn it off when its where you want it. Not exactly what you want out of a product you but for toasting.
5 Stars By AlumiGogoShopperDave on 1969-12-31
Great for camper.
I thought price was a bit high for the red one. But I bought the red anyway as it matched my camper. It's a really nice toaster oven. Works great. Mine did not come with the cookie tray for some reason. My sister bought same oven from amazon and hers had other eh baking / broiling tray AND the cookie tray. So if you want that you may not get it. I don't need it so I'm not worrying about it. For mounting in my camper, I managed to remove a couple of the assembly screws on the bottom and then fasten it to a piece of wood screwing into those holes. I then Velcro down to the wood piece to the countertop on my camper. Works wonderfully. Draws about 1100 watts. l so works off my Honda generator no problem. It's now traveled over 6000 miles in announcing camper with no problem. And it gets used often. If you are running it off a generator like I am for a camper, while baking with the oven take your generator off of eco mode where the generator idles down. The toaster oven cycles often while cooking so in eco mode it really works the generator as the generator struggles to speed up when the element on the oven cycles on. So run your generator on full when baking with this.
Also I noticed wall does get warm. Always being nervous about fire I bought a inexpensive metal serving tray on amazon and mounted it behind the toaster oven. Can't really pull it out from wall as it's fastened down. I put spacers so there is airspace behind the tray. Solved the warm wall problem.
All in all a great little oven. Love the top opening door for camper where counter space is at a real premium.
5 Stars By Just kath on 2016-10-04
So easy to clean
I have never been much of a fan of toaster ovens. Big bulky things that take up too much space, are hard to clean and don't get used much. Well, over time, I have found myself wishing for one a time or ten, so I started my AlumiGogo search. This small, toaster oven not only opens wide to make access easy, but the cover comes right off so it can be cleaned. I managed to make space on my counter and I'm glad I did. This has become a go to appliance in my kitchen.